Sunday, January 24, 2016

Kitchen Table Now Coffee Table

Last weekend I found an oak kitchen table on Kijiji for $25.00.  This is it disassembled.  


It even has beautiful rope detail.


My plan was not to use it as a kitchen table, but to transform it into a coffee table.  I already have a round coffee table but it wasn't what I really wanted for my tiny living room.  It served its purpose but I wanted something more substantial.  You can see the old table below...


First thing I needed to do was to remove the screws that attach the table to the base from the pedestal.  



I then measured the height of my seat cushions on the couch and decided to make my coffee table the same height.  Using a hand saw, I cut the pedestal to the appropriate height. Don't judge me...I know that I'm doing a messy job in my livingroom! 


I used masking tape to make the cutting line so I kept it level and straight.  It worked very well!

I replaced the screws at the top of the pedestal making sure to measure and line up the holes at the bottom of the tabletop.

I sanded the table top and stained it using Minwax Dark Walnut stain.  When dry, I lightly sanded it with 220 grit sandpaper to remove any roughness.  I then waxed it with Minwax Paste Wax to protect the surface.  The edge of the tabletop together with the legs and pedestal received a coat of primer before I added two coats of Behr paint called Totally Black.  

Here is the finished table...



I love it and am very happy with the results.  And,  it only cost me $25.00 and a few hours of labour!  

Thank you for stopping by.  Have a great week!

Lesa






6 comments:

  1. Great transformation!! It looks so pretty in your room.

    Have a blessed week...
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea. I wish now that I would have saved an old table of my mothers. It would have made an amazing table like yours. Darn! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous transformation! I can't believe you cut it by hand! Well done! It was worth all the effort to achieve this high end look! I hope you have a great week!
    Smiles!
    Terry
    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!
    What an awesome transformation!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! What a beautiful table you have now. I loved this post because we did exactly the same thing to our 20 year old (Ikea) pine dining table, I even stained the top the same walnut colour! I routed out a recess in the top and put in a thin MDF panel painted & lacquered to look like granite. The legs, pedestal and frieze are painted ivory. We're also very please with our new coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, love it!! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete