I bought the buffet from Jysk, cheap, and the hutch is a bookcase from Walmart. The pieces went together somewhat but it was never the look I wanted. It was just a "mish mash" that I put together to create some extra storage. Honestly, I hated it but just didn't have the energy to do anything to it until this past weekend. We don't have a woodworking shop so a lot of the process took place in my living/dining/kitchen space. (It's a small house so it's all one room!)
First I built a new base for the buffet. I wanted the buffet to have more height and I wanted it to look substantial, yet I needed to take into consideration of our small space. I just used 1 x 6 pine to create the base. The wood blocks were glued and screwed to the bottom of the buffet so I had something to attach the pine boards to making it sturdy.
I then added a one inch moulding to all of the drawers to give more interest to the buffet. Again, I wanted the buffet to have some weight to it visually.
I filled the existing holes on the fronts of all the drawers as I decided to change the hardware to a single wood knob for each drawer.
That was it for the buffet. Now for the hutch or should I say, bookshelf. I had replaced the backing on the bookshelf with pine tongue and groove which I had stained dark. I simple attached 1 x 3 pine to the bottom of the shelf to, again, have it visually look heavier. Plus, it tied in with the base of the buffet making it look like both pieces belong together.
I filled and sanded all the holes and then it was time to paint. I chose a paint color from Behr called "garden wall". And, out of that paint I created my own chalk paint following the directions I have found on pinterest and many blogs. I waxed it using Minwax paste wax.
I am very happy with the way it turned out.