It might not be "her thing", but I had fun making it!
I started with well-weathered lumber. I cut 4 pieces 12" long. I then cut one of the pieces in half . These two pieces will sit at the bottom of the boards, one on the front and one on the back, as the base.
I glued all the boards together, then further secured them using an air nailer. Once together I sanded the boards.
I made a flower pattern on paper, cut it out and traced it onto 1/4" thick mdf board. I used my scrollsaw to cut the flower.
I then found a font on the computer which would be easy to cut out of wood. Again, made a paper pattern, traced the letters onto 1/4" mdf and cut the letters using my scrollsaw. Once I had all the pieces cut, I sanded them using 100 grit and then 220 grit sandpaper.
The flower center...my initial idea was to use a wood button...didn't have anything big enough. So, I scrounged through all of my husband's scrap metal, bolts, screws, washers, etc. This is what I found that I thought would work as a flower center. Kinda rustic...
I placed everything on the plaque and drilled a hole (for the bolt to fit through) where the flower center would be...
I stained everything with dark walnut by Minwax. Once dry, I painted the flower with "sandbar" and the letters with "blue mist" by Decoart. Once dry, I lightly sanded the edges to allow the stain to be revealed, giving the pieces an aged look.
I secured everything with wood glue and inserted the flower center (the bolt) through the hole and secured it with a "nut" on the back.
Thank you for stopping by...