I call it a "Rustic Number Sampler".
If you are like me, I save all sizes and shapes of wood. "Scraps" from all my wood projects. My husband was so glad to see that I was finally using up some of my collection. He thinks my scrap collection is a bunch of junk wood, but I always can see it's potential.
So, I started with an idea which I then put to paper, making myself a pattern.
I searched my scrap pile to find the right size pieces of wood cutting them all to size using a table saw. I then traced the numbers onto more scrap wood. I used mdf, plywood and pine lumber all in varying thicknesses. The number "2" was cut from scrap metal, the "3" and "4" were stenciled and I did an inside cut for the number "5" on 1/4" plywood. I sanded everything to get them ready for stain and paint. And, I filed and polished the metal number "2".
For the color palette, I used "Sandbar" color paint from Home Hardware, "Buttermilk" and "Lamp Black" by DecoArt and Minwax stain in two colors - dark walnut and puritan pine.
Once everything was dry, I did a bit more sanding to give some of the pieces a bit more of an aged appearance. I then secured the numbers to the wood pieces using wood glue, stenciled the "3" and "4" onto the wood and secured the metal "2" with rivots. Oh...and because the number "5" is an inside cut, I needed a backing so I used a piece of burlap!
Now for the hard part...how was I going to secure it all? My husband suggested that I attach all the pieces to 1/4" plywood...good idea! So, I made a frame out of weathered wood - again, a scrap collection sitting outside along the shop wall buried in snow. (of course, I had to be patient and let the wood completely dry before assembling) I attached the frame with an air nailer to the outside edges of my backing piece (the plywood) and then glued the numbered wood pieces inside the frame...kinda like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Once the glue dried, I attached picture hanging hardware to the back.
I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Best of all, I used up some of my scrap lumber, the project was free and now have new artwork to hang in the living room!
Thank you for stopping by...