Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chalkboard Desk Blotter

Here's a project I'd like to share with you....



It's a chalkboard desk blotter.

If you'd like to see how I made it, please read on...

First decide how big you want your blotter.  I made mine 18" x 24".  So, I cut two pieces of matboard to that size.  Then, using spray adhesive I secured the boards together - having two gives the blotter some strength.




Cut a piece of canvas 20" x 26"...this will allow approximately 1" on each side to wrap around the back of the board.  Next, cut a piece of Heat n Bond the same size as the canvas and adhere to the back of the canvas following the manufacturer's instructions. 



Once cool, remove the paper backing.



Center the board on the back of the canvas and using your iron, secure the canvas to the board. 



Fold the edges to the back of the board and secure with your iron.



I made my own cording to wrap around the edge of the board, however, you can buy it from your local fabric store.  I secured the cording to the edge using hot glue.



Now, cut a piece of scrap paper or brown craft paper to the size of your blotter and design your chalkboard space...you can get creative here. 



Once you are happy with the design, cut it out, place it on your board and trace it with a pencil.  Mask off the areas you don't want to paint.





Next, I primed my chalkboard area.  Once dry, I sanded the primed area lightly with 220 grit sandpaper and then applied a second coat of primer. 



Then, apply two coats of DecoArt's Chalkboard paint.




I added the word "Notes" to the top of my blotter using DecoArt's Blue Mist paint.






Cut two pieces of elastic long enough to wrap around the blotter.  Cover with fabric and then sew the ends together.  Slide onto the blotter, one on each side.  These can be used to hold photos, business cards, notes, etc.



That's it! 



Hope you have a great day and thank you for stopping by!
Lesa

4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love chalkboards of all kinds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (found ya on a link party)
    Wow.. what a great chalkboard. I made one for my little girl but it was no where near as beautiful as yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lesa, what a great idea. I'm sure a lot of people will be copying you on that one. Thanks for sharing. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over and visit my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would really like that. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete