I had an empty picture frame so I decided to give it a coat of Light Avocado (DecoArt) paint. When it dried, I rubbed a bit of candle wax over the entire frame and then gave it a coat of Lamp Black paint. This doesn't have to cover completely because you're just going to sand it off to reveal the bottom color. And, that was the next step...once the black paint dried, I used 150 grit sandpaper to reveal the green. After removing the sanding dust, I gave it a coat of satin varnish.
While the varnish dried, I cut my chicken wire to the inside measurement of my frame...I then gave the chicken wire a coat of black paint. Of course, I didn't have any black spray paint so I painted it by hand using the same paint as the frame.
Cut a piece of cardboard, foamcore or mat board (I used mat board) to the inside measurement of the frame and then adhere scrapbook paper using modge podge. This will be your background color. I used a green to match the green in the frame.
Place the chicken wire in the frame and then lay the matboard on top of the chicken wire. Secure in place.
Now for the clothespins...I mixed some black paint and water in a jar and then threw the clothespins into the jar to soak up the watery mix. It almost acts like a stain...then just clip them to the edge of the jar to dry. Lightly sand to remove the rough edges, as water and/or paint will raise the grain in wood. To give them a bit more interest, I decided to attach these cute tokens I found at Michael's. (Hence, my color scheme)
I removed the little eye hook at the top of each token using wire cutters and then I attached them to my clothespins using hot glue.
That's it...this is my little version of the Chicken Wire Memo Board. I hope you like it!
|These are my kids, Brendan and Taryn|