First of all, I needed some type of container to hold the remote controls and junk that collects on the coffee table, so I decided to build a wood tray. It's nothing new design-wise, but it has functionality and I'm happy with the way it turned out.
I simply used some scrap pine for the four sides and 1/4" plywood for the bottom. I glued and nailed it together. After a good sanding, I stained the tray with a dark walnut stain by Minwax. I then basecoated the box with a paint color called Cinnamon Sizzle (this was leftover from the color on my entrance walls). After it dried, I watered down Red Iron Oxide paint by Decoart and applied the paint as a topcoat to deepen the color. Again, I let it dry, lightly sanded the surface and then applied a black stain by Saman to give it a more aged look. I then used a water-based satin varnish to the tray.
I drilled two holes in each end and made handles out of a product I found called "Wreath & Stem Cord".
I liked the color and texture and thought it would make great handles. That was it!
My next project, again, nothing new, is the decorative flower ball. I needed an accent piece so I thought I'd see what I could come up with with what I had on hand.
I used a 5" styrofoam ball as the base. I then found some leftover fabric from my kitchen curtains and cut it into strips approximately 1 1/2" wide by 10" long. Then I started making fabric roses. I made 24 roses to cover the ball. Using hot glue, I attached the roses to the styrofoam leaving gaps in between each rose. I then hot glued spanish moss between the roses to cover the exposed styrofoam. I trimmed the moss to remove the long ends. Because it needed some color, I decided to hot glue some faux leaves to the ball. It turned out just "okay" and I'll use it, but I know I can improve on it!
Thank you for stopping by...I love visitors and I love your comments too!