Monday, April 25, 2011

"Dream" Sign

Here is a project I would like to share with you.  I needed something to hang over the bed in one of the spare bedrooms...something to fill in the blank wall.  My husband is eventually going to build a farmhouse bed frame for the room, but since I had company for the Easter weekend, I needed something ASAP and my husband just didn't have time to get all my "requested" projects finished.  Anyway, this is what I came up with to fill in the naked wall...



The sign measures approximately 32" wide x 24" tall and I was able to use lumber that I already had in the shop.  Here's what you need:

Four (4) - 1x3 (8 feet)
Scrap pine (for birds and "Dream" letters)
Danish Oil (medium walnut)
White latex paint
Weathered board mixture
Wood glue and nailer
Jute
Staple Gun
 
How to make "Weathered board mixture":
Use a jar with a tight fitting lid (I used a canning jar) and add a piece of "fine" steel wool to the jar.  Rip the steel wool into small pieces.  Pour "Allen's Double Strength Cleaning Vinegar" into the jar, covering the steel wool.  I filled my jar almost to the top.  Seal the jar and leave for a couple of days until the steel wool dissolves.   Now its ready to use.


This is what the "mixture" looks like once the steel wool has dissolved in the vinegar.

1. Cut 9 pieces of 1x3 - 24" long.
2. Cut 2 pieces of 1x3 - 32" long.
3. Cut 1 piece of 1x3 - 18 1/2" long.  (this is used to make the crown for the top of the sign)
4. Place all the 24" pieces together in a row, making sure to keep the ends even.  Attach the two 32" lengths to the top and bottom of the boards using wood glue and a nail gun.  Make sure to nail into each board as this secures the entire sign. 
5.  Make a half moon shape for the crown/top of the sign using the full length of the 18 1/2" piece of wood.
6.  Attach to the top of the sign with wood glue.
7.  Draw your letters onto paper and then transfer onto a scrap piece of pine.  My letters measure approximately 4"x5" and I used my computer to create the word "Dream".  I drew my birds and also transfered them to a scrap piece of wood.  I then used my scrollsaw to cut them out.



8.  Sand all the wood pieces using 150 grit and then 220 grit sandpaper.  Remove any dust.
9.  Using an old brush, slap on the weathered board mixture to all the wood pieces.  You don't have to be perfect with this process, as I found the more "sloppy" it goes on, the more weathered the wood will look.  The wood will not change color until it drys completely.  I put mine out in the sun to quicken the process.  Here is what it looks like when dry:




10.  I liked the color, but wanted it a bit darker to I applied a medium walnut stain over top. 




I like the look of the "richer" color.

Just to give you an idea of the difference between the "before" and "after" of the wood color.

Once dry, I used white paint and "drybrushed" the boards, applying the paint with the wood grain.  This will give the wood a "painted" weathered look.




11.  Paint the birds blue (or whatever color you choose), let dry, and then sand the edges to expose the stained wood underneath.  I left the "letters" alone as I liked them simply stained.


12.  I attached the letters to a piece of jute using a staple gun.  I then stapled each end of the jute to the back of my sign board.   (Simply cut a piece of jute to the width (plus a bit extra) of the sign board and space your letters evenly on the jute.)
13.  Attach the birds to the sign using wood glue. 

Here are a few more pictures of the completed sign:





 Thank you for stopping by...

Lesa

12 comments:

  1. I just painted an old cabinet door white to use for art in our master bedroom makeover and wasn't sure what I was going to do next. When I saw your post, I ran out, dry-brushed some gray on and started thinking about what words I'm going to string across it. Thanks for giving me inspiration!!

    Kristin @ A Simply Klassic Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how the weathered look turned out! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this! Great job and thanks for sharing!
    I would love it if you joined my linky party @ {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! I love it! TFS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I think we are our most creative when "company's coming"!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lesa that is amazing! Looks so good! I just learned about the vinegar and steel wool trick and I can wait to give it a try:) Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Love the birds and the pop of color.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!! You really did a great job! The blue birds are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this and love your rusting recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for stopping by and linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't tell you how much I love this! I'm a new follower and featured it today!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete