I've been working on my "multi-purpose" room and needed storage for magazines, etc. I had this old crate and decided to spruce it up a bit.
I sanded it to remove the "roughness" and then dry-brushed the surface with a buttermilk-colored paint. When it was dry, I applied dark walnut danish oil to the surface to darken the exposed wood areas.
I wanted to add handles so I braided some jute and then drilled two holes on each side of the crate for the handles to be attached. I also made a liner for the inside of the crate using burlap. I added a strip of muslin for the trim and a fabric rose for a feminine touch.