Here's a project I'd like to share with all of you. It's my Live Laugh Love plaque. I made it so I could hang it on the wall, however, I thought it looked good in the wrought iron easel sitting on the dresser at the front entrance. I combined a bit of woodworking, modge podge and painting to this project. Here's a bit of a tutorial.
Things you'll need:
Scrap plywood in assorted thicknesses. (1/4", 1/2", 3/4")
Scrapbooking paper in colors of choice
Modge Podge OR you can make your own like I did by using white glue mixed with water (to thin it out) and then add approximately 1 tbsp of varnish. Stir and store in a jar.
Paint (I used a dark brown paint I had left over from painting a piece of furniture, as well, I used DecorArt Acrylic paint in Arbor Green, Antique Rose & Buttermilk)
1. Cut pieces from plywood. The diagram below shows you the dimensions and thicknesses to cut. Just a note...the overall dimensions of the plaque is 12" x 12".
2 pieces - 12"long x 7/8" wide (these are the top and bottom)
2 pieces - 13 3/4" long x 7/8" wide (these are the sides)
3. Cut 2 Fleur de Lis from 1/4" plywood.
4. Lightly sand all the pieces.
5. Paint the plaque pieces and Fleur de Lis dark brown and let dry. Apply Buttermilk to the top of the Fleur de Lis, let dry, then sand to reveal the dark brown. Antique.
6. Paint the frame pieces with Buttermilk and let dry. Now apply a coat of dark brown, again, let dry. Sand to reveal the buttermilk. Antique.
7. Trace the plaque pieces onto scrapbook paper and cut each approximately 1/8" smaller (on all sides) than the actual size. Apply modge podge to the wood and then the back of the paper.
8. Put paper onto the wood pieces and then apply more modge podge to the top of the paper. Let dry and then lightly sand all pieces.
9. Apply lettering to the large plaque square. I painted "Live" with Arbor Green, "Laugh" with Buttermilk and "Love" with Antique Rose. However, if you are lucky enough to own a Silhouette then you could use that to make your lettering. Once the lettering is dry, antique all the plaque pieces.
(Enlarge lettering to appropriate size)
10. Cut a piece of cardboard 13 3/4" x 13 3/4" for the backing. Arrange the plaque pieces and frame pieces on the cardboard and glue in place. Attach to Fleur de Lis with wood glue. Let dry. Attach a hanger to the back.
I'm linking to: Sew Dang Cute Crafts "Crafting with the Stars"
Blue Cricket Design "Show and Tell"
The DIY Showoff